MENUmenu icon

Civil Partnership

Civil Partnerships formally come to an end when they are dissolved by the Court because the relationship has irretrievably broken down.

To ask for a dissolution you must to show one of four grounds:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion
  • 2 years’ separation (and you both agree)
  • 5 years’ separation


The process is mostly paper based, but if your partner does not agree with your application or if there are other complications, you may need to attend Court. The Court has to make two orders to dissolve your civil partnership. The first order is called a Conditional Order, once this is in place you must wait 6 weeks before you can apply for a Final Order to formally end your partnership.

The dissolution process is only part of the arrangements that need to be made to bring your relationship to an end. You will probably need to go through a separate court procedure for financial arrangements, and this will have to be in place before the Decree Absolute can be made.

You may need to go through a separate procedure to formalise arrangements for your children.

Until the Final Order has been made you are still legally Civil Partners. You may have rights to inherit if your spouse dies and you are not free to form another civil partnership or marry someone else. Our private client solicitors can help you to make a will while your dissolution is going through, to make sure that your assets are protected if you die before the divorce is final.

Our friendly and pragmatic private client solicitors will talk to you about your concerns and work out how best we can help you.

When you contact us we will ask you to tell us:

  • A brief description of your problem
  • Your contact details, including the best phone number to contact you on
  • Whether you plan to pay privately for any fees or whether you intend to apply for legal aid. (To find out whether you might qualify for Legal Aid please visit


At Glaisyers we will always help where we can. In some cases, where we can’t deal with your family law enquiry ourselves, we will refer you to a trusted independent solicitor who specialises in the particular area you need.

Speak to the expert

Get in touch today